National School Counseling Week: Helping Students Reach for the Stars
This week the nation recognizes school counselors and the unique contribution they bring to U.S. school systems.
National School Counseling Week, sponsored by the American School Counselor Association, highlights the tremendous impact school counselors can have in helping students achieve school success and plan for a career.
According to the ASCA, the role of school counselors is now very complex. ‘Gone are the days of school counselors sitting in their office simply handing out college applications, making schedule changes for students who want to drop a class or meeting with the troublemakers in the school. Today’s school counselors are vital members of the education team. They help all students in the areas of academic achievement, personal/social development and career development, ensuring today’s students become the productive, well-adjusted adults of tomorrow. Learn more about the school counselor’s role.’
The campaign is always celebrated the first full week in February, which this year is Monday, February 5th through Friday, February 9th.
The ASCA is celebrating school counselors this year through a photo/video challenge that includes a new activity each day this week.
Monday: Happy National School Counseling Week
Tuesday: I love being a school counselor because …
Wednesday: My school counselor helps me reach the stars by …
Thursday: I wish upon a star that …
Friday: I’ll shine bright as a …
The North Canton City School district included recognition of school counselors in this month’s newsletter: “School Counselors: Helping Students Reach for the Stars” is the theme of National School Counseling Week. The purpose of the recognition is to focus public attention on the unique contribution of school counselors within U.S. school systems. School counselors provide students with academic, college/career and social/emotional development, and it’s quite fitting that we take a week to thank the NCCS school counselors for their work. To Amanda Allman, Nicole Wadkins, Ross Rankin, Megan Zahorec, Jami Brennan, Terri Simmons, Sue VanNostran, Crystal Ake, Tamie Eynon, Brian Girdlestone, Annie Moore and Amy
The ASCA has also made available a variety of ideas to take to schools to encourage participation in recognizing school counselors this week.
To help you promote the week, ASCA has developed many materials and documents, a number of which are free. Order your materials by Jan. 19, 2018, to ensure they arrive in time for National School Counseling Week. Order materials online by clicking on the links below for the items you wish to order or call (800) 401-2404 to order via phone.
• Proclamation – Get your governor, superintendent, mayor or other dignitaries to sign a proclamation declaring Feb. 5–9, 2018, as National School Counseling Week. Download a blank proclamation for free.
• Certificate of Appreciation – Show your appreciation to those faculty members, parents and other stakeholders who help you promote your school counseling program throughout the year. Download a blank certificate of appreciation for free.
• Sample press release – Download a sample press release to customize with information about what your school or district is doing to celebrate National School Counseling Week.
• Sample morning announcements – Get your school excited about each day of National School Counseling Week with by promoting the week during morning announcements. View 2018 sample morning announcements or archived morning announcements from previous years.
- Posters – Promote National School Counseling Week throughout your school with a brightly colored poster. Posters do not have a date on them and can be used year after year. Posters are available on regular poster paper, delivered folded ($3 for members/$5 for nonmembers). Or, for sturdier posters that will hold up for many years, ASCA also offers the poster in a laminated format, rolled and delivered in a tube ($6 for members/$8 for nonmembers). Order laminated postersor regular posters.
- Pencils – Hand out pencils promoting school counseling to your students so they’ll have a daily reminder of where to turn when they need help. Pencils may be purchased in packs of 20 ($8 for members/$10 for nonmembers). Pencils are currently available in navy. Order pencils.
- Stickers – Kids love stickers. Let them proudly display their support of your program with “I heart my school counselor” or “My School Counselor Helps Me Succeed” stickers. Stickers are also available in Spanish: “Amo a Mi Counsejero Escolar” and “Mi Counsejero Escola Me Ayuda a Tener Éxito.” Stickers come 12 to a sheet ($1 per sheet for members, $3 for nonmembers).
- Door hanger – Promote privacy when you’re in a counseling session or let students know when you’re available with this reversible door hanger ($3 for members/$5 for nonmembers). One side says “Counseling in Progress. Please Do Not Disturb.” The reverse side says “Please Come In.” Order doorhanger.
- Bookmarks – Make sure your students know where to turn when they need help. Hand out inexpensive “School Counselors: Providing Lessons for Life” bookmarks (100 per set, $15 for members/$18 for nonmembers). Order bookmarks.
Michaela Madison Reporting