(Navarre, Ohio) – During a school board meeting this week the Fairless Local School District adopted a resolution to support military children and families.
According to reports, the resolution was step one in the process of applying to be recognized as a Purple Star School through the Ohio Department of Education.
The ODE explained the Purple Star Award is for military-friendly schools that show a major commitment to students and families connected to our nation’s military. Schools that earn the award will receive a special Purple Star recognition to display on site.
In order to be honored with the Purple Stare Award, the ODE notes the school must complete the required activities, plus one optional activity listed below. The Purple Star Advisory Board, formed by the Ohio departments of Education, Higher Education, Veterans Services and the Adjutant General, help decide a school’s eligibility for the award.
- The school must have a staff point of contact for military students and families who serve as the primary liaison between them and the school.
- The liaison completes professional development on special considerations for military students and families under federal law. The Military Children in Ohio’s Schools course is available on the ODE learning management system and may be used to complete this requirement.
- The liaison identifies and informs teachers of the military-connected students in their classrooms and the special considerations military families and students should receive.
- The school maintains a dedicated page on its website featuring resources for military families.
- The school provides professional development for additional staff on special considerations for military students and families.
- The local school board passes a resolution publicizing the school’s support for military children and families.
- The school hosts a military recognition event that demonstrates a military-friendly culture.