How can you bond with your teen and keep them out of trouble? Keep an open line of communication and ask them questions!
Looking to connect with your teen but stuck on what to say? Try some of the unique questions to get the ball rolling.
10 Questions to Ask Your Teen
- Is there something you enjoy doing that I don’t know about?
- What’s your favorite show/movie/song right now?
- What’s your opinion on ________ [insert current event]?
- What makes a good friend?
- What’s an accomplishment you’re proud of?
- Are you worried about any friends or family members right now?
- Do you fall asleep easily? What do you think about when you’re falling asleep?
- What do you need right now that you don’t have?
- What is the most annoying word?
- Are there any new skills you’d like to learn?
It can be difficult to connect with your teen, but keeping an open line of communication helps your child stand up to peer pressure and avoid substance abuse. Next time you feel a rift, ask your kid to go on a walk and open the conversation with one of these questions.
EmpowerTusc provides resources and assistance for families and individuals struggling with addiction. Visit their website at EmpowerTusc.com or give them a call at (330) 440-7319. You can also check out their list of local resources for those struggling with addiction, dependency, grief, anxiety/depression, and more.
Audrey Mattevi, Reporting