Nutrition is important EVERY month, but the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics has designated March as National Nutrition month. They are inviting all of us to, “learn about making informed food choices and developing healthful eating and physical activity habits.” This year’s theme is “Fuel for the Future,” which focuses on eating with sustainability in mind: nourishing ourselves while protecting the environment to ensure future generations have access to healthy foods and clean environments.
Weekly Nutrition Messages
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics have posted focused weekly nutrition messages to help us learn:
Week 1: Eat with the environment in mind.
Week 2: See a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN).
Week 3: Stay nourished and save money.
Week 4: Eat a variety of foods from all food groups.
Week 5: Make tasty foods at home.
50 Ways to Celebrate
Also listed on their website are ideas for celebrating and increasing awareness. Readers can find ideas for work, home, school, and the grocery store. Some fun ideas include:
- Plan a virtual cooking demo or nutrition event. Invite a registered dietitian nutritionist, restaurant chef or local culinary school to host a virtual cooking demo, combined with a brief nutrition presentation. Provide attendees with copies of recipes and links to online materials about National Nutrition Month®.
- As a family, commit to trying a new fruit or vegetable each week during National Nutrition Month®.
- Conduct a “MyPlate Champion” challenge for your classroom.
- Arrange a session on composting to learn about its role in reducing wasted food.
- Organize a supervised scavenger hunt for food items needed to make a healthy recipe.
Check out the 50 Ways to Celebrate webpage for even more activities to increase awareness and focus on both nutrition and the planet!