The Tuscarawas County Health Department is confirming the second case of bacterial meningitis.
The initial case was reported back on Friday, December 15th and involved a 14-year-old Indian Valley High School student who passed away as a result of the illness. The high school was closed on Monday, December 18th to thoroughly clean the building and buses.
The second case was reported on Tuesday, December 26th and also resulted in the individual passing away.
Health Department officials stress the two cases are not related and there is no reason to believe the individuals had any contact with each other. They noted the individuals lived in different parts of the county. They add that preliminary testing indicates they were infected with different types of bacteria that can cause meningitis.
In a press release officials went on to explain there are several types of bacteria that can cause meningitis, although most people don’t get sick from them. However; some people are more susceptible to meningitis, including babies and people with compromised immune systems.
Those who experience symptoms of meningitis including fever, chills, headache, stiff neck or back, nausea and/or vomiting should seek medical attention immediately.
The Health Department also reminded individuals of age-appropriate vaccines including those vaccines for meningitis and pneumonia.
Michaela Madison Reporting