(New Philadelphia, Ohio) – The Tuscarawas County Anti-Drug Coalition is partnering with Addiction Policy Forum to offer a free virtual workshop to prevent adolescent substance use.
With the growing substance risks emerging among youth, local prevention education initiatives focus on translating the science behind key topics into content that is accessible, understandable, and actionable for a diverse set of target audiences.
The live virtual training will be held from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. on April 7th, 2021, and will be hosted by Jessica Hulsey, the founder of the Addiction Policy Forum, a national nonprofit organization that leads the fight against the deadly consequences of addiction. The organization helps patients, families, and communities affected by the disease. Hulsey has more than 25 years of experience in the field of prevention, treatment, and policy solutions to address substance use disorders.
This training will focus on ways to prevent adolescent substance use using the science of addiction, factors that contribute to the development of a substance use disorder, and evidence-based resources on addiction and critical prevention information, including information on the interaction of drugs and alcohol with the brain, genetics, and helpful steps we can take to guide youth to positive, healthy development, as well as innovative prevention approaches and policies.
Specifically, this training will focus on:
- The science of addiction, addressing the misperception that the disease of addiction is a moral failing or weakness;
- Identifying the signs and symptoms that someone may be struggling with drugs or alcohol;
- Risk and protective factors and adverse childhood experiences
- Effective approaches to reduce the prevalence of underage drinking and substance use in communities;
- Approaches to foster collaboration between community stakeholders for continued underage drinking and substance use prevention activities; and
- Strategies to encourage community and local businesses to implement measures to prevent underage drinking.
To register to attend this virtual training visit https://adctusc.org/events-calendar/ and click on April 7th to be taken to the registration link.
For more information on local prevention efforts and resources visit www.adctusc.org.