(Dover, Ohio) – The Tuscarawas Valley Farmers Market is encouraging the public to utilize programs that assist low-income individuals with the cost of purchasing fresh produce at the market.
Held every Wednesday from 3:00 to 7:00pm at the fairgrounds in Dover, the market strives to serve culturally and economically diverse populations and to increase access to fresh, locally produced, nourishing, and safe foods for all people including children, the elderly, and families of all incomes.
During the 2020 season, the Tuscarawas Valley Farmers Market is participating in the following programs:
- Ohio Direction Card: Shoppers can swipe their Ohio Direction Card (EBT) for tokens. Each token is equal to $1.00. Anything you can purchase in the grocery store with an EBT card you can buy at the market with tokens. No change can be given. These tokens cannot be used at the food trucks. For details on the program or to see if you qualify, visit Tuscarawas County Job & Family Services at 389 16th Street SW in New Philadelphia or call them at 330-339-7791.
- Produce Perks: When shoppers use their Ohio Direction Card (EBT), the market will match up to $25.00 in Produce Perk tokens per card each market day. Produce Perks can be used to purchase only fruits and vegetables, and no change can be given.
- P-EBT (School Lunch Card): The market also accepts the P-EBT Card, which is available to eligible school-aged children. When you use your P-EBT card, the market will match up to $25.00 in Produce Perk tokens per card each market day.
- Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program: Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program vouchers are available at the Tuscarawas County Senior Center. Vouchers come in $5.00 increments, and qualifying individuals can receive up to $50.00 in vouchers to use on fruits, vegetables, and honey. For details on the program or to see if you qualify, visit the Tuscarawas County Senior Center at 425 Prospect Street in Dover or call them at 330-364-6611.
- WIC: WIC vouchers are available to eligible participants at the Tuscarawas County Health Department. Vouchers can be used to purchase fruits, vegetables, or herbs. For details on the program or to see if you qualify, visit the Tuscarawas County Health Department at 897 E. Iron Avenue in Dover or call them at 330-343-5555.
“The Tuscarawas Valley Farmers Market is thrilled to be able to offer so many programs that give members of our community an opportunity to stretch their dollars further and access the freshest produce available. All of the fruits and vegetables you’ll find at our market are grown within 75 miles of Tuscarawas County…it just doesn’t get any fresher than that,” said TVFM Marketing Chairperson Hannah Hubbard.
The Tuscarawas Valley Farmers Market also makes it easy for shoppers to use their credit or debit card at the market with the Carrot Cash program, which allows shoppers to swipe their card to receive market tokens. These tokens can be used at any vendor and are treated like cash. Carrot Cash comes in $5.00 increments, and there is a nominal processing fee.
To utilize any of these programs, visit the Information Booth at the market where knowledgeable volunteers can process your transactions and answer questions.
For additional information about the market, visit tvffm.org or follow the Tuscarawas Valley Farmers Market on Facebook and Instagram.