Making a giant pot of this crock-pot chicken tortilla soup is a great idea to feed your family. It’s easy to double this recipe, and you can keep it warm in the crock pot for a long time.
This soup lasts in the fridge for up to 5 days in a resealable container. Just heat and serve.
It can also be customized as family members can add their favorite toppings. Ideas for toppings include avocado, tortilla croutons, sour cream, radishes, salsa, and jalapenos.
Best Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
Lime wedges, for serving
- In a large slow cooker, combine chicken, black beans, corn, peppers, onion, fire-roasted tomatoes, cilantro, garlic, cumin, chili powder, salt, and chicken broth.
- Cover and cook on low until chicken is cooked and falling apart, 5 to 6 hours.
- Shred chicken with a fork, then top soup with Monterey Jack and cover to let melt, 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, make tortilla crisps: In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add tortilla strips and cook until crispy and golden, 3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and season with salt.
- Serve soup topped with tortilla crisps, avocado, sour cream, cilantro, and lime.