Leftover turkey? Lingering veggies? Throw everything together in this easy casserole and top it all off with a buttery crumb topping.
Today’s affordable family dinner recipe is courtesy of the Stark County Hunger Task Force.
Casseroles are economical, easy to make, and everyone loves them! Combine turkey, pasta, and veggies, along with a few pantry staples to make the best turkey casserole. This recipe can be made in advance and covered in the refrigerator until it’s ready for baking, making it a great option for a quick family dinner.
Best Turkey Casserole
2/3 c. panko
3/4 c. freshly grated Parmesan, divided
6 tbsp. butter, divided, plus more for pan
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 1/4 c. sliced cremini mushrooms
1/4 c. all-purpose flour
4 c. low-sodium chicken stock
2 c. shredded cheddar
3 c. cubed cooked turkey
8 oz. egg noodles, cooked
1 c. frozen peas
3 tbsp. freshly chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
1 tbsp. lemon juice
Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°. In medium bowl, combine panko with 1/4 cup Parmesan, and 3 tablespoons of butter. Season with salt.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter. Add onion and mushrooms and season with salt. Cook, stirring until softened, about 6 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring, 1 minute more. Pour stock into saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheddar and remaining ½ cup Parmesan until melted.
- Add turkey, noodles, peas, parsley, and lemon juice to the saucepan and season with salt and pepper.
- Brush a 9″-x-13″ baking dish with butter and scrape turkey casserole mixture into dish. Top with buttered breadcrumbs. Bake until golden and bubbling, about 20 minutes.
- Top with more parsley before serving.
Delish.com is one of our favorite resources for easy, delicious family meals.
2 thoughts on “Affordable Family Dinners – Turkey Casserole”
Pingback: Thanksgiving Tips: Taking Care of the Turkey! - Newsymom
Pingback: March Into Nutrition with Five Easy Tips - Newsymom