Avoid Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: Stay Safe While Staying Warm

Although temperatures are warming up in Ohio for a day or so, odds are the weather will turn frigid again before Spring and the CDC is sending out a few safety reminders while staying warm.

Officials explained in a report released on Friday, January 5th, 2018 that Carbon Monoxide (CO), produced by furnaces, vehicles, portable generators, stoves, lanterns, gas ranges, or burning wood can make you sick and even be life-threatening Protect yourself by taking the following simple steps:

  • Install a battery-operated or battery back-up CO detector in your home. Check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each Spring and Fall.
  • Leave your home immediately and call 911 if your CO detector alarm sounds.
  • Have your heating system, water heater, and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.
  • Seek prompt medical attention if you feel dizzy, light-headed, or nauseated and suspect CO poisoning.
  • Do not heat your house with a gas oven.
  • Never run a car or truck inside a garage attached to your house, even if you leave the door open.
  • Do not burn anything in a stove or fireplace that is not vented.
  • If your power goes out, remember—never use a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove, or other gasoline- or charcoal-burning device inside your home, basement, or garage or outside less than 20 feet from a window, door, or vent.

For more information on how to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, visit www.cdc.gov/co.

Leave a Reply