Beat the Heat! – Did you know we’re experiencing what’s called a “heat dome”? After breaking over 2,300 records of some of the hottest days across the U.S. over the span of 39 days, hospitals are seeing more heat-related illnesses! (CNN.com) The future looks warm as well; predictions are being made that the heat will stay throughout August. Find out how to beat the heat and keep our babies, pets, and family members hydrated and cool right here on Newsymom!
Hey there, super moms! Can you feel that sizzling summer heat? Phew, it’s a scorcher! While we’re all embracing the sunshine and beach days, it’s crucial to make sure our little ones, furry friends, and family members stay cool and hydrated during this summer heat wave. The predictions have been made; we’ll be seeing this heat for a while!
Here are some awesome tips to help you beat the heat and keep everyone happy:
1. H2O to the Rescue! – Hydration is key! Make sure to keep a water bottle handy for yourself, your babies, and even your pets. Dehydration can sneak up on you, especially on hot days, so keep reminding everyone to take sips throughout the day. Jazz up your water game by adding slices of refreshing fruits like watermelon or a sprig of mint – it makes sipping water fun for the whole family!
2. Dress for the Occasion – When it’s sweltering outside, it’s time to bust out those light, breathable fabrics. Dress your babies and toddlers in loose, cotton clothing that allows their skin to breathe. For your pets, consider investing in a cooling vest or bandana to keep them comfortable during walks.
3. Splash-tastic Fun – Create your very own backyard waterpark! Set up a kiddie pool, water sprinkler, or even a DIY slip ‘n slide. Your little ones will have a blast splashing around, and you can join in on the fun too! For pets, keep a small pool filled with water outside, so they have a cool spot to relax and enjoy the sun.
4. Stay Shady – Avoid the scorching heat during the peak hours of the day. If possible, plan your outdoor activities in the morning or late afternoon when the sun’s intensity has toned down a bit. Seek shade wherever you go, and don’t forget to pack a wide-brimmed hat for yourself and a cap for your little ones.
5. Freeze the Treats – Who doesn’t love a tasty frozen treat on a hot day? You can make healthy and delicious popsicles at home using fruits and yogurt for your kids. Freeze some dog-friendly treats for your furry friends too! It’s a win-win for everyone.
6. Use Fans and AC Smartly – If you have air conditioning, lucky you! Keep the temperature cool and comfortable, but don’t forget to set aside some playtime in a naturally ventilated room too. For places without AC, use fans strategically to create a refreshing breeze. Close curtains and blinds during the hottest parts of the day to block out the sun’s heat.
7. Pet Paw Protection – Remember that the ground can get scorching hot during summer, and it can burn your pet’s paws. Take them for walks during cooler hours or stick to grassy areas to keep their paws safe and sound.
8. Monitor for Signs of Heat Exhaustion – It’s essential to keep an eye out for signs of heat exhaustion in both babies and pets. Excessive sweating, rapid breathing, lethargy, and bright red tongues in dogs are some indicators. If you notice any of these signs, move them to a cooler area, offer water, and seek medical attention if needed. Save the list below to have a quick and handy reference guide.
Get Your Athletes Ready for Action!
Hey moms, don’t forget about your active athletes! Whether they’re in middle school, high school, or college, it’s crucial to ensure they’re in top shape for their upcoming sports seasons. The Tuscarawas County Health Department has got you covered with physicals for just $30. Schedule an appointment by calling (330) 343-5555 x. 1810 or 1740. Let’s keep our kids healthy and thriving on and off the field!
Stay cool and enjoy the summer, moms! Remember to take care of yourself and your loved ones during this heat wave. With these tips, you’ll be able to beat the heat and make wonderful memories together. Happy summer! 🌞🏖️