(U.S.) – With so much uncertainty and chaos related to COVID-19, how do we help our kids manage so many changes? What do they really need to know about the virus?
Healthy Tip Tuesday is brought to you by Trinity Hospital Twin City.
There is a lot going on in the world right now and many experts encourage parents and guardians to talk to their kids about what is happening. But, what do our kids really need to know about COVID-19?
Experts at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are sharing the following 5 tips kids need to know about the virus.
- Wash your hands for 20 seconds. Encourage your kids to sing a short song to make scrubbing more fun. Singing their ABCs or Happy Birthday, for example, will help them ensure they wash their hands long enough.
- Visit Your Friends From Home. Many kids are likely feeling the effects of having to stay away from their friends and activities they’re used to. Parents and guardians can encourage them to keep their distance while also supporting them through the difficulties of that by helping them connect with their friends from home. They can set up play dates and other activities using a phone or computer.
- Masks are safe, not scary. Kids will be more apt to wear masks if they understand the reason. Talk to them about the importance of everyone doing their part to keep others safe and healthy. Also, many retailers now offer fun prints on masks to make them more fun for kids to wear.
- Cover your cough or sneeze. Teach your kids to cough or sneeze into their elbow rather than their hands. This helps prevent germs from getting on their hands, which they use to touch other items like door handles and tabletops. Follow this up, of course, with reminders to wash their hands regularly.
- Be a good helper. Talk to your kids about how they can help by cleaning up after themselves and taking care of their own messes.
And always remind them that it’s okay to ask questions.
1 thought on “Healthy Tip Tuesday – 5 Tips kids need to know about COVID-19”
Pingback: Why You Might Have Flu Symptoms and Not COVID-19 - Newsymom