(Zoar, Ohio) – The Zoar Community Association is announcing opening days for Historic Zoar Village and Fort Laurens.
On June 17, both sites will be open for tours. Tours will look different than in past seasons, according to officials. Historic Zoar Village and Fort Laurens are both requesting that tours are done by appointment. Each appointment will be limited to 10 or fewer visitors with the earliest tours being reserved for seniors and our vulnerable populations. Tour appointments will be offered between 10am and 4pm on Wednesdays- Saturdays and between 11am and 4pm on Sundays.
Tour options include:
- General History– A tour of the historic village with general information about life in Zoar.
Outdoor Tour Series:
- Till the Cows Come Home: The Dairy Industry– A special look at one of the biggest industries for the community.
- From Sheep to Shawl– The Textile Industry– The process, buildings, and people responsible for the Zoar textile industry.
- Back to School– A look at the many buildings associated with children’s lives in Zoar.
- The Art of Zoar– Zoar was a popular destination in the early 20th century for artists. See the buildings and paintings that made Zoar a haven for artists.
Fort Laurens Outdoor Tour Series
- General History- A tour of the historic grounds with general information on Fort Laurens
- The 21– Learn the history and stories of the garrison at Fort Laurens as well as the stories of the soldiers who gave their all in the battle for American Independence
The outdoor tour series will not enter any buildings. This is subject to change with inclement weather. Tours can be booked on our Facebook page or via http://historiczoarvillage.eventbrite.com. If you are more comfortable with only your family group on a tour, please call 330-874-3011.
The Zoar Store and Bakery will be open Wednesday- Saturday from 10am-5pm and Sunday from 12pm-4pm. The Bakery is taking a page right out of its history and offering service out the window just as the Separatists of Zoar would have.
All staff and volunteers will be wearing masks. Officials ask that guests wear a mask as well although it is not required. Masks will be available. Hand sanitizing stations will be available.
Officials added that Zoar has open spaces, green spaces and learning spaces where you can enjoy the outdoors with family and friends. Over one hundred years ago people flocked from all over the country for a little bit of the peace and tranquility that is Zoar!
For more information or to book your tour via phone please call 330-874-3011.