How To Prepare Your Car for Winter – The most dangerous driving season is coming upon us, so it’s time to learn about how to keep our cars in tip-top driving shape! Learn more about how to prepare your car for winter driving right here on Newsymom!
You can take extra precautions by getting your car ready for the winter season before our first snow storm hits.
How To Prepare Your Car for Winter
Winterize Your Car:
- Test your car’s battery, as the cold temperature will drop your battery power
- Check in on your car’s cooling system
- Install winter tires with a deeper, more flexible tread (For all-season tires, make sure the tread is thicker than 2/32 of an inch.)
- Inflate your tires as needed, but don’t overinflate! (Rule of thumb, for every 10 degrees the temp drops outside, your tires lose about a pound of tire pressure.)
- Protect your wiper blades – replace them if needed, and lift them up when not in use so they don’t get damaged by ice!
- Add wiper fluid rated for -30 degrees
- Keep your gas tank over half full to avoid the gas line freezing!
Before You Head Out (When It Snows!)
- Warm up your car (Not only to help your car, but also to keep you toasty when driving!)
- Clean off the dirt and snow from your windows, camera lenses, and side view mirrors
- Don’t warm up your car in the garage, even if the door is open to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Avoid traveling when the forecast is iffy; share your route and plans with someone if you need to step out!
Join the Safe Communities Coalition!
If you want to help keep your community safe, you can join the Safe Communities Coalition in Tuscarawas County!
The Tuscarawas County Health Department wants you to stay safe this winter! Call them at (330) 343-5555 x. 100 or visit them at www.tchdnow.org to see what amazing services they offer to keep you and your family safe.
Make sure to follow along on Facebook (@tchdnow) for the latest news and safety tips to survive and thrive this winter season!