When most people think of October they think of Halloween, but it is also time to think pink for family and friends. And What does pink represent, Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Breast cancer is one of the most preventable cancers and has the highest recovery rate if caught early. Early detection is the key. Read on to learn more about early detection, prevention methods, and shared facts about breast cancer.
Types of early detection:
- Self-breast exams
- Yearly OBGYN visits at any age
What Are the Symptoms?
There are different symptoms of breast cancer,
- Any change in the size or shape of the breast.
- Pain in any area of the breast.
- Nipple discharge other than breast milk (including blood).
- A new lump in the breast or underarm.
See your doctor immediately if you have any signs that worry you.
Fast Facts About Breast Cancer
- Each year in the United States, more than 245,000 women get breast cancer and more than 40,000 women die from the disease.
- Most breast cancers are found in women who are 50 years old or older, but breast cancer also affects younger women.
- 10% of all new cases of breast cancer in the United States are found in women younger than 45 years of age.