The month of February is not just a month about love and candy, it’s a time to bring recognition to heart disease. There is a small gesture everyone can do by breaking out all of the red of red and heart themes in their wardrobe to raise awareness of heart disease and best practices to take care of the heart in honor of American Heart Month. Read on to learn more about why this is important, what one can do to take care, and other ways to show support.
Healthy Tip Tuesday is brought to you in partnership with Trinity Health Systems.
Why worry about the heart?
- According to the CDC, heart disease is the leading cause of death for women in the United States, killing 299,578 women in 2017—or about 1 in every 5 female deaths.
- About 1 in 16 women ages 20 and older (6.2%) have coronary heart disease, the most common type.
What are prevention methods?
- Know your blood pressure.
- Quit smoking.
- Monitor any diabetic concerns with a physician
- Discuss checking your blood cholesterol and triglycerides with a doctor.
- Make healthy food choices
- Manage stress levels
How to raise awareness?
- Post about the disease, any events, or true stories to social media pages. Make sure the information is from research-based institutions or hospitals.
- Attend rallies or events for various heart disorder awareness
- Listen to others when they share their stories and struggles as they navigate heart disease