Major Focus-Communication Studies- This KSU Tuscarawas program prepares students with critical thinking abilities, skills to organize and express ideas in a clear manner to a variety of listeners with a required practicum which prepares them for the working field ahead.
With over 30 degrees to choose from, Kent State University (KSU) at Tuscarawas has a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Applied Communication Studies. This degree offers all of the courses at the Tuscarawas campus as well as some virtual online options.
Major Focus on Communication Studies
The degree program gives students the tools to understand:
- Foundations of Communication
- Criticism of Public Discourse
- Intercultural and gender communication
- Organizational Communication (visual, written, auditory, speaking)
Once a student has senior standing, a practicum in Applied Communication will be needed.
Requires 150 hours working at an organization while completing projects, papers, and a portfolio.
Communication Majors are able to earn COMM Elective credits as a Junior or Senior by applying for an Internship.
Internships are recommended after finishing the practicum.
It is an upper-division, communication studies elective and taken as a pass/fail grade.
This is Justin Warner a 2020 senior in Communications who completed an internship at Historic Zoar Village. Justin was able to gain experience designing event flyers, rack cards, social media photographs as well as other marketing components.
Future Career Paths
Kent State Tuscarawas Communication Studies graduates may work in the following types of positions:
- Marketing coordinator
- Brand strategist
- Managing editor
- Social media manager or planner
- Web content producer
- Event planner
- Public relations communications
- Human resources manager
This knowledge is needed in numerous sectors of business, including education, manufacturing, healthcare, non-profit, & government.
- 120 credit hours
- A roadmap for this program’s class schedule success is laid out here.
Applications can be found online here
No application fee
No test scores needed for first-year students
Why Go Anywhere Else?
Unique classroom opportunities present themselves exclusively to Tuscarawas students.
- High-quality teaching
- Learning with small class sizes
- Dedicated teachers such as Ginger Bihn-Coss, PhD Professor of Communication studies at Kent State University Tuscarawas. Listen to her interview with Tuscarawas Broadcasting Company WBTC about the applied communication study program.
- State-of-the-art technology, software, and equipment to learn and create with.
- Gold standard curriculum and excellent Professors.
- Incredible ALC makerspace.
- Tutoring is offered for many Kent Core classes including; psychology, biology, math, chemistry, and writing.
- Local advisors dedicated to the Tuscarawas campus will assist with academic forms, information, classes as well as success tips virtually or in person.
- USCAA athletics on campus.
- Over $350K in scholarships are awarded annually.
- Convenient access to educational experience at the PAC.
- Ability to gain future career experience in the exclusive KSU Tuscarawas Research Colloquium.
Tuscarawas Campus Dedicated to Success
The job forecast for information technology careers from the U.S. Beauru of Labor Statistics is predicted to grow exceedingly faster than the average rate for the next eight years. Major Focus- Communication Studies program at KSU Tuscarawas is able to prepare for a successful future.
Why go anywhere else when low tuition, close to home, extraordinary education is right down the road!
Kent State University at Tuscarawas 330 University Drive NE New Philadelphia, OH 44663 (330)-339-3391
The source of occupation titles and labor data is from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics’ Occupational Outlook Handbook. Data comprises projected percent change in employment over the next 10 years; nation-wide employment numbers; and the yearly median wage at which half of the workers in the occupation earned more than that amount and half earned less.