Let’s get back to the PAC- the Performing Arts Center at KSU Tuscarawas as the new 2021-2022 season is released.
With over 30 degrees to choose from, Kent State University (KSU) at Tuscarawas has opportunities to take classes at the beautiful PAC as well as learn from the entertainment brought to campus. “After fifteen long months without a show, the Performing Arts Center is ready to get back to business,” said Dr. Brad Bielski, dean and chief administrative officer of Kent State Tuscarawas. “Because of the way this community came together, the Performing Arts Center is poised to emerge strong post-pandemic. I thank everyone for their dedication and commitment to our beloved venue.”
Performing Arts Center
Kent State Tuscarawas PAC offers
In November 2020, The Performing Arts Center celebrated its 10th Anniversary. “Plans were in place for a big party,” said David Mitchell, general manager for the Performing Arts Center. “We’re not one to let a good milestone go to waste, so we’re moving ahead with our celebration and are thrilled that the legendary Jay Leno will join us for an incredibly special night to celebrate our anniversary, even if it’s a year delayed. This will be one of those “pinch-me” moments knowing we’ll have an entertainer the caliber of Jay Leno coming to New Philadelphia.” In addition to the stand-up comedy of Jay Leno, an optional post-show reception will occur on stage to include live music, bar service, and heavy hors d’oeuvres.
Other comedic offerings on the season guaranteed to make anyone smile include:
- Stand-up comedian Jeff Allen,
- The Cleverlys, a one-of-a-kind comedy/music group who put their unique bluegrass spin on cover songs from any genre,
- That Golden Girls Show: A Puppet Parody, one of Off Broadway’s biggest smash hits
- Magic & Mayhem, a combination of fast-paced physical comedy and mind-bending magic that will leave you gasping for breath.
National Touring Broadway shows
The much-anticipated return of national touring Broadway shows scheduled to make a stop in New Philadelphia include:
Waitress National Tour
- Inspired by the beloved film, WAITRESS tells the story of Jenna, an expert pie maker who dreams of a way out of her small town. A baking contest and the town’s new doctor may offer her a fresh start, but Jenna must summon the strength to rebuild her own life. Do not miss this uplifting celebration of friendship, motherhood, and the magic of a well-made pie. This hilarious hit Broadway musical features original music and lyrics by Grammy® Award winner Sara Bareilles.
Summer: The Donna Summer Musical
- Tells the story of a girl from Boston with a voice from heaven, who shot through the stars from gospel choir to dance floor diva. But what the world didn’t know was how Donna Summer risked it all to break through barriers, becoming the icon of an era and the inspiration for every music diva who followed. With a score featuring more than 20 of Summer’s classic hits including “Love to Love You Baby,” “Bad Girls” and “Hot Stuff,” this electric experience is a moving tribute to the voice of a generation.
- In the stunning one-man, multi-character show Beyond Glory, stage and screen star Stephen Lang brings the remarkable stories of eight medal of honor recipients to the stage in a performance that will reach into your very soul. Adapted from Larry Smith’s stirring book, Beyond Glory presents the powerful first-hand accounts of these veterans from World War II, Korea, and Vietnam, who’s courageous actions led them to be honored with the nation’s highest military award. “Because of the generous sponsorship by New Philadelphia VFW Post 1445 and VFW Ohio Charities, tickets for this event will be free for Veterans and Active-Duty Military and their families,” added Mitchell. “We’re very thankful for their service and sacrifice.”
General Manager of the Performing Arts Center David Mitchell said, “At the Performing Arts Center, we take great pride in our Educational Outreach efforts. In a typical year, we are able to reach close to 10,000 local students and offer impactful learning experiences. One of the challenges we eagerly take on each year is finding artists who are equally adept at entertaining the community and educating students. This season’s artists have traveled the world and our audiences are in for a real treat.” Third Coast Percussion is a Grammy® Award-winning Chicago-based percussion quartet. In addition, Mitchell explains, “For the first time ever, we will take Grammy winning musicians out into our local schools.” Also on the season are The House Jacks, who redefine what people think of as “vocal music” and are at the forefront of the contemporary a cappella scene. The Unauthorized Biography Series combines biographical hip-hop songs and documentary-style music videos into a critically acclaimed motivational musical presentation. Finally, multilingual vocalist, guitarist and cellist Eleanor Dubinsky offers a blend of world-beats, jazz and pop music met with emotionally forthright songwriting.
Family-Friendly PAC Shows
Mitchell said, “There’s nothing we love more than being part of family traditions. When you build memories with family and friends around a shared experience, those memories last a lifetime. Those traditions are even more special around the holidays, and we have several shows with that in mind.”
- In December, The Midtown Men, stars from the original cast of Jersey Boys, will present their Holiday Hits show.
- Christian vocalist David Phelps, best known for singing tenor in the Gaither Vocal Band, performs his solo show It Must Be Christmas.
- In March, Celt-grass originators We Banjo 3 make their return to New Philadelphia.
- Performing on St. Patrick’s Day, direct from Ireland, Velocity Irish Dance is hailed as the next generation in Irish tap.
- Magic & Mayhem, Cirque Mechanics: Birdhouse Factory takes audiences on a spectacular ride full of daredevil antics, circus acrobatics and mechanical marvels and for the littlest family members.
- Paddington Gets in a Jam, based on the popular children’s book series, will have everyone squealing with delight.
Concerts at the PAC
- The season also has something for those eager for nostalgia. The Purple Xperience showcases the greatest and most authentic production of Prince and The Revolution in the world and for those who love the iconic British pop sound of the 60’s, The British Invasion will have audiences swinging.
- The popular Cabaret Series also returns and features performances by Yankee Bravo and Wild Carrot. Cabaret series tickets are $49 and include a three-course dinner.
- Grammy-winner Amy Grant
- Ricky Skaggs
- Richard Marx
- Find the whole lineup here.
Dr. Bradley Bielski, Dean and Chief Administrative Officer announces,“New this year, we are excited to welcome the Tuscarawas County Community Foundation as our season sponsor, First Federal Community Bank as sponsor of our new First Fed 15 Package and the New Philadelphia VFW Post 1445 and VFW Ohio Charities for their generous show sponsorship,” added Bielski. “In addition, we are grateful for the continued support of Alonovus as Platinum Sponsors and Series Level Sponsors AquaBlue Inc. and House of Stones. Western Reserve Public Media also continues as our official media partner for the season. These continuing partnerships are a testament to these organizations’ commitment to the arts and assisting us in enriching the lives of the community around us.”
The First Fed 15 Package of 10 shows for just $15 each include:
- We Banjo 3
- Magic & Mayhem
- Jeff Allen
- Cirque Mechanics: Birdhouse Factory
- The Cleverlys
- Eleanor Dubinsky
- The House Jacks
- Third Coast Percussion
- The Unauthorized Biography Series
- That Golden Girls Show: A Puppet Parody
- A complete list of performances and ticket prices is online at www.kent.edu/tuscpac.
- First Fed 15 Package (10 shows for just $15 each), can be purchased here.
- Tickets can be purchased in person at the Performing Arts Center box office, by calling 330-308-6400 or online at www.kent.edu/tuscpac. The box office is open weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Free and convenient parking is available for all shows.
The Performing Arts Center at Kent State Tuscarawas is located at 330 University Dr. NE, in New Philadelphia.
Enrollment at KSU Tuscarawas
Applications can be found online here
No application fee
No test scores needed for first-year students
Why Go Anywhere Else?
Unique classroom opportunities present themselves exclusively to Tuscarawas students.
- High-quality teaching
- Learning with small class sizes
TuscTalks about PAC
- State-of-the-art technology and equipment to learn and create with.
- Gold standard curriculum and excellent Professors.
- Tutoring is offered for many Kent Core classes including; psychology, biology, math, chemistry, and writing.
- Local advisors dedicated to the Tuscarawas campus will assist with academic forms, information, classes as well as success tips virtually or in person.
- USCAA athletics on campus.
- Over $350K worth of scholarships is awarded annually.
- Ability to gain future career experience in the Research Colloquium.
Let's get Back to the PAC!
Kent State University at Tuscarawas 330 University Drive NE New Philadelphia, OH 44663 (330)-339-3391